Monday, February 23, 2009

Small Groups Great Beginning!


As I start out this morning trying to recapture, alittle of the glorier! Sorry old Bruce Springsteen son came out of nowhere! Ha ha yesterday was the beginning of small groups for Crossroads Community Church! Its something that has bubbling in dreamland for us for awhile until it couldnt stay there any longer! The timing was there in my opinion and it was evident yesterday! We had our biggest attendace since launch in August of last year and my small group had some late signees and guests! My group is studying a book called " Just Walk Across The Room " by Bill Hybals which focus' on relationship oriented evangelism! It was a very fast paced day getting ready for such a great event! I even got a nap in there, ha ha felt fantastic!

I am meeting at a couple from my churches house so I had my group meet me at the cinema and they would follow me! Ha ha well that could have been disasterous as I had only been th the house once, so I pulled off the road only to have pulled off at the wrong place and of course these people not knowing wehere they are going followed suit! Yeah it happened, nobody wrecked though although I did keep the angels busy keeping it from happening we made it to the house and everyone got acquainted! We have a variety of ages, backgrounds, and thats just the ones that showed up!

After a good time of talking and eating we dove into things alittle differently, we did a intro and let everyone intro themselves, then we took prayer requests and we prayed over them! Starting to dive into the book alittle bit we were introduced to the house guests birds we could hear singing in the basement! Not just your normal churping, but tv theme song churping! So we got alttile background music going as we have a great discussion about personal evangelism! A reoccuring theme of last night not from the book but from each other was where does our treasure lie? A great question that was presented last night and was something we all needed to hear!

One question that was asked was about Luke 10:19 where it says that The Son of Man came to seek and save that which was lost! He asks how did knowing the misssion free him up from the fears and insecurities we face today? It struck a cord quick with all of us! GReat discussion took place but the answer came back to us once again! Our insecurities and fears come when we take our eyes off of Jesus and put it on ourselves! Then it becomes no longer about Jesus but about how we look to others! Really hit the nail on the head and is something I think we all took away from last night, was when we are witnessing to others and following that leading to walk across the room to someone we are led to, its not about us winning them over, thats not our job! Its about showing them Jesus and not just telling them about Him!

We also dealt with an issue that I have struggled with and it came up as I began to study this book was this, when people witness to others and the person God has us witness to doesnt respond the way we think they should, we get defensive and no longer want to hear what that other person has to say! So we dealt with the intention aspect of evangelism as well! It was a very liberating night for some! Everyone enjoyed themselves and it was a great beginning!

No comments: