Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect?


You know lets take a look at the phrase " practice makes perfect! " When I was a kid learning to play baseball man I would be outside throwing a tennis ball against the wall because I wanted to be a pitcher! I can still picture that same brick I always aimed for, and time after time I would throw the ball against the wall picturing myself on the mound striking out a batter! I played baseball alot when I was a kid, even played for the rec center! I played short stop and third base mostly, but I always wanted to pitch! One night I got my chance! Our pitcher got shot gunned early in the game and our second pitcher started walking people so the coach asked if anyone wanted to pitch! Well it was my chance, so I asked the coach if I could and he agreed! I was elated of course but in my mind I wasnt pitching to the catchers glove, I pictured that brick that I always practiced on! I didnt do to shabby, I pitched a few innings and eventually was added to the rotation!

Tonight I met with a friend of mine to discuss his message and while I waited on him to finish, I got to hear the Garage Band practice! The Garage Band is the youth band at Crossroads and they are really good! As Chris my friend was guiding them through some steps musically I watched as they practiced and was digging what I saw from them! I saw good effort! But it was what he said afterwards that really got my wheels turning! What is worship? He gave a brief explaination of how he came to his knowledge of what worship is! He said worship has very little to do with instruments! Worship has little to do with music? Like really? He said that as a leader you discover that worship has everything to do with lifestyle and that is so true! So what are you practicing for? To make what perfect? Worship? What is perfect? Does it mean flawless? That is one meaning of it, but what about mature? Practice makes a satisfying development? Hmmmm could be on to something there! Could practicing to love like Jesus loved, could that make a difference? Could practicing to worship God like Jesus did, think we would develop a better way of living?
I think this year I am going to practice worship more often, I think I am going to practice loving others, I am going to practice Loving God more, and maybe, just maybe something will happen, you think?

7 comments:

Chris Brooks said...

dude!

love the pic of John! where is that?
this was a great post too, man.
I should definitely practice more.
practice loving God.
practice worship.
that's awesome!!
btw, I think my amplify message was still too cluttered. even after the cutting we did.
oh well, practice makes perfect.

Ben said...

Rick Warren wrote that "Life is a dress rehearsal" I think there is truth to that. Great post

Anonymous said...

Good message Chris. Rick Warren said 'Life is a dress rehearsal' interesting Leonard Ravenhill the old revivalist in America who has been dead about 25 years was famous for that exact saying..

Chris V. said...

Well Christy whether its Ravenhill or Warren realize we are all in the same family!

Anonymous said...

I did't mean to sound so brash. I am sorry, I like Rick Warren.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Chris! I'm going to stay strong, stay built up, and keep practicing so I can stay OFF the bench, and maybe the Coach will put me in more!

Gene Oden said...

Great post, bro.